Thursday, April 30, 2009

"Warlocks are Enemies of God"

For this week, I was thinking about the movie "Jesus Camp" and though I have not seen it, I thought I would take a look at some parts of it online. This is what I found.

This is an interesting video debate that mentions "Jesus Camp" and does some comparisons between religions. For me, the most poignant part is about 8:15 seconds into it.



Reza Aslan, who is a middle east analysis for CBS news, is saying that religion does not create bigots or misogynists, people are just bigots and misogynists. "religion it is a powerful language through which you can justify any ideology." I think this point is dead on. People use religion as an excuse for many things, war being one of the most extreme.

Also, here is the trailer for "Jesus Camp," which to me, personally, looks like one of the scariest movies ever made.



Here is another "Jesus Camp" video that denounces Harry Potter. Sorry for all the videos, but this is pretty intense. According to the leader of the "Jesus Camp, "Harry Potter would have been put to death in the old testament.



There were plenty of other videos on "Jesus Camp" and I eventually want to watch the entire movie. There are some scenes shown in clips where the children speak in tongues while praying to God. Kids are lying on the floor in what looks like a seizure. They pray to a cardboard cut out of George Bush. A five year old was saved because he wanted more out of his life. A FIVE year old. They destory mugs with "government" written on them. They denounce evolution. They are being trained to "be God's army." Has anyone actually seen the movie?

Here is a link to the movie's website
Article review of Jesus Camp
This is an interesting article, first of all because it comes from RichardDawkins.net, and secondly, because a lot of people posted responses to the article.

3 comments:

  1. I have not seen this movie either. The first video you posted of the debate was very interesting but I agree that those clips of the documentary look a little scary. In the debate clip, Bill said to the woman that she thinks he is below him because he doesn't believe in Jesus and she was very quick to deny that. I wonder if some people do feel this way- that those who don't see the truth (of the Christian way, or any religion for that matter), are not as knowledge and therefore below. The clips from the actual documentary make Christianity seem more like a cult than a religion because it is so fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my. No, I haven't seen the movie. But it amazes me the amount of crap they say(this is strictly my point of view) to influence young children. Harry Potter is against the word of God? That is so...not cool.. I understand that that is what Christians believe but really... I feel it is too much.

    With Augustine and "On Christian Teaching" I feel like we have the opportunity to say what we don't like about Christianity and not feel terrible about it. But, that's our opinions and such just as it is the 'preacher' lady or whoever she is to say those things to the children because it is a "word of God."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely see Jesus Camp.. it is scary. And the makers of the documentary showed it to these people and they thought it was fair. In other words, it is a certain religious viewpoint that is presented as they would want to be presented..

    ReplyDelete